2014/04/26

Inside Out

Thursday marked a one year anniversary of the tragedy in Rana Plaza, a Bangladesh garment factory which collapsed and due to bad working conditions left 1133 people dead and 2500 people injured. It also marked a day when the #InsideOut worldwide happening took place. People were encouraged to look at the labels on their clothes, see who made them, and share it on the internet using the #InsideOut hashtag.
I have been trying to clean my wardrobe from pieces which might be made in the bad working conditions, and even though it takes time, it has been helpful just to think about the impact I as a customer have on the market, and considering the making process as well as the design and price during my purchases. Trying to buy less and buy things that I can imagine keeping for a long time goes hand in hand with that, too.

This is actually not the outfit I was wearing on Thursday, excuse me for a little bit of cheating, but I wanted to start this article off by talking about this issue, because it is an important one to me personally.
In the photos below, I am wearing an American Apparel hat, which not only looks amazing with anything (I have been wearing it a lot since I bought it.), but it is also made in the USA in AA's factory which secures fair and safe working conditions. (I do think the quality vs. price balance is a little off though, but that's another story. This hat for instance is an investment piece for sure, pardon me the cliche.) Then there is a vintage Limi Feu dress I have bought recently, which is made of 100% cotton and also in Japan, away from slavery work. (And it has pockets!) Underneath that I am wearing a basic white Monki T-shirt. Monki, I think, is a great example of a brand that is conscious about the issues of ecology and workers' rights in the production process, but at the same time keeps the prices affordable for anyone. However, I do have to admit here, although it makes me sad and ashamed of myself, that I am not 100% sure of the origin of the tights and flats (which I DIYed into sportswear-inspired 'ugly' shoes), so as I said it is a longer journey before I can proudly wear my entire outfit inside-out, but I am getting there.


TANK TOP DRESS - LIMI FEU | BASIC T-SHIRT - MONKI | BLACK TIGHTS - N/A | SPORTS FLATS - DIY | RECYCLE EARRINGS - 3.3 FIELD TRIP | FLOPPY HAT - AMERICAN APPAREL


8 comments:

  1. It's such a great idea, I wasn't aware if the insideout thing, but I will definitely have a look. Love the outfit <3

    The Quirky Queer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Inside Out was a great idea to raise awareness of the problem, because if you consider whether you would be satisfied with what you're wearing (or buying), even if you were to wear it with the label out for everyone to see (And I mean the label with where the garment was made, not the brand name tag.), your behaviour as a customer changes.
      P.S. Thank you x

      Delete
  2. This is for sure an admirable thing to do, as you are for sure a person who is partly or completely a role model for some people and you have some influence on many people here at the Internet but even outside it.
    As people started to point out at this problem which I did know about but rather "chose to not project it into my life" right now even I'm slowly changing into someone who won't be probably able to wear his clothes insideout anytime soon, but think about things a lot before buying as well.
    But as I said, gogogo, this is something which is really erai ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in places like the Czech Republic, it's much harder to shop with regards to all these issues, because pretty much the only resource you're left with is ordering from the internet, which can get pricy with the shipping etc. And I myself can't really preach to people about being 100% conscious, because even though that's what I would aim to be, my wardrobe still has some pieces that might be made in factories in China, Bangladesh, and places like that, which use basically slavery work. And it also doesn't end with clothes and accessories, it's various little things you just don't really think about like say for example stationery or kitchen appliances, etc. etc.
      But I think that just being aware of the problem happening, and thinking twice before buying something, even if it's cheap, it a good point to start, because even though you might be supporting companies who use slavery work, you at least reduce the amount you buy from them. It's not ideal, but it's something. (And I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to you, I'm talking to myself partly as well.)

      Anyway, if I can influence at least a few people who read what I have to say, I feel like this blogging thing has some sense.

      Delete
  3. Awesome picture www.agoprime.it

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous. to me, it's fave look of the day

    visit mine,
    Miss Aa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comments, I really appreciate all of them. l'll try to answer asap! ♡